Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I think I've figured it out

I've started to pinpoint why I'm feeling so horrible. I think it has to do with waste and over-consumerism, if that's even a word. On the same day, we got rid of a car to get a new car, and we got Wii Fit, a Nintendo game designed to help users get into better shape by playing games and stuff. So here's my gripe:

Producing a car causes a lot of pollution. Have you ever seen how they make steel? I don't know a lot about the process, but I know that it involves putting that nasty stuff in water, then the water gets all junky, and then what do you do with it? And the paint that they use on the body...that stuff is toxic! The fumes and chemicals do a lot of damage to the environment. I know this just scratches the surface, too.

Then we got Wii Fit. I was very excited to get it, and I think it's going to be a ton of fun to play. However, we got this big board made of plastic that uses four batteries to run, and then you have to turn on the TV to play it. Do you know that a lot of our electricity comes from coal? That's a fossil fuel! And while electricity seems like a clean energy source, it's actually very harmful! So the depressing thought there is that we can't just go out and do work to exercise. No, we have to drive our fat asses around in SUVs to get to the store, and we always drive around to get the closest parking spots (well, some of us do), and then we need a GAME to get ourself into shape or to keep ourselves that way. What happened to good nutrition and hard work?

Blowing off steam like this helps me to feel a little better. It also helps me realize that if I want to make a difference, I need to keep leading by example, and to keep up my hobbies that help the environment, such as recrafting objects, reusing items, etc...

I know we all have our missions, and some of them are very different, but if we want to leave this beautiful world to our children and grandchildren, and not have them breathe toxic fumes or roast to death in sweltering heat, we have to do something now.

Here's something to think about: Have you ever tried to breathe after a semi drives by you as you bike/run/walk/roller blade down a road? I have had that unpleasant experience many times. That's what happens when we buy too much stuff...trucks drive around for everything from ~getting the supplies to make it to ~delivering it to your door to ~hauling it away in the garbage truck when you're done with it, and they spew those horrible fumes into the air
every time they roll out of the garage. I used to be the type of person who liked to buy stuff, especially if it was on sale, but it's gotten a lot easier to remind myself that I DON'T NEED IT!

No comments: