Thursday, June 19, 2008

Radio morning show-gas discussion

This morning on the radio the DJ and the traffic guy got into a big argument. They were laughing about it later, but I couldn't help but be annoyed by the ignorance of the DJ.

The issue is about the "Dump the Pump" day that's going on today. I don't know if it's all over the nation or if it's just here in WNY, but the DJ's argument is that one day of not driving isn't going to make a difference, while the weather guy's argument is that it will. Now, if you pick the argument apart a little bit, they're both right, but the ignorance of the DJ really made me angry.

If the DJ was arguing that it's not going to hurt the oil companies, then he's probably right. He said that if you don't get it today, then you'll just need it tomorrow. That's only partially true. You actually delayed needing gas by one day...that means that you saved some money, and you prevented a few gallons of gas from polluting our atmosphere.

I know that it makes a difference. I carpooled to work a while back when another person from Dunkirk worked with me, and Chris is carpooling now with a lady who lives in Dunkirk and works in Buffalo. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that if you drive less frequently, you'll buy less gas. I just wonder how long it will take the idiot on the radio to get a clue.

When I turn on the radio in the morning, I don't want to hear negativity and arguing about how little of an impact you're having on the world, I want to hear someone encouraging people to help make the world a better place. ((It's kind of like my using canvas bags at the grocery store. Some will argue that it doesn't make a difference, but I believe otherwise, and will proudly use my canvas bags every time I shop.)) I think that what he did was awful, and to add this to the fact that he plays "Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis every morning makes me think I might have to find a new radio station. I'm sure he's crying his heart out at the thought of losing me as a listener. (sarcasm)

If you "Dumped the Pump" today, I say GOOD FOR YOU. You made a difference, and I'm proud of you.

No comments: