Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Knee news-or lack thereof

On Monday I went to see Dr. Suchanick about my knee. Although it doesn't hurt anymore, I promised some people that I'd get it looked at, and Chris pushed me to go, so I sucked it up and went. I wanted the appt on Monday because we took Mom, Dad, and my mother-in-law (aka Colleen, Mom II, or MIL for short) to see Wicked, and since MIL stayed at our house, I wanted to be home to see her off. Which we didn't do anyway because she got up really early and left quietly without waking us up. (She warned us the night before not to be offended if she got up and left early. She's an early riser and wanted to get on the road early to avoid traffic and get home to Guy (my FIL) sooner.) Wow, huge digression...

Do you know how embarrassing it is to go into a doctor's office and say, "I'm having problems with me knee, but it's fine now." She was bending and twisting it and asking if it hurt, and nothing hurt, so the whole thing seemed kind of pointless. She sent me for x-rays of my knee and also my toe that I hurt when Xander tripped me, and she also ordered blood work because my knee feels hot to the touch, which I learned is a sign of infection. So after the doctor's appt I went over to the hospital where I had the blood work done, then about 8 x-rays of my knees and foot.

She prescribed an anti-inflammatory/pain reliever, but since I'm not really in pain, and since I can't see or feel any swelling, I'm not sure if I want to take it. And also, once the results come back from the blood cultures, I'll find out whether I'll be on an antibiotic, so if I need another prescription, I'll pick both of them up at the same time. I guess I won't really have a choice about taking the antibiotic, though.

Now I'm just wondering what to do next, because I thought that by now I'd have heard the results from at least the blood work, but at the same time, I can understand that with a culture like they did, they need to give it time to show the results. I realize that it's not really a big deal, but I guess I'm just a little bit impatient.

No comments: