Thursday, January 1, 2009

Remembering New Year's Day 2008


All my life my parents loved sports of all kinds...baseball, football, soccer, etc... I myself played Softball and Tennis, but I never really LOVED it. I played because I figured that's what I should do. But as far as watching sports...I hated it all (with the exception of Buffalo Bisons games--minor league baseball).

Then in college I found the Sabres. Bonas would run bus trips up to HSBC, and they were affordable, so we went. Since we got married, we've fallen even more in love with the sport and the team, and have been to see several games in the last few years. Our most memorable hockey game was the Winter Classic (aka the Ice Bowl) on New Year's Day in 2008. We FROZE as we sat in Rich Stadium and watched this historic event unfurl beneath us, and I have to say it was one of the best days of my life. I still get a little choked up when I think about it (corny, I know), but just reflecting on how we were there to witness something that had never been done in the US, and it happened right here in Western NY...it was magical. Today they're playing the second Winter Classic in Chicago. I've seen the coverage of the event and I smile to myself as I think back to that awesome day last year. I'm so grateful to have had the opportunity to attend that event and to have shared it with my very best friend.

No comments: