Wednesday, August 27, 2008

No, I don't want to pull weeds

The other day Chris was out scraping the house, and the neighbor kids were out there bugging us, so I told them that I needed to pull weeds. The weeds that I was pulling are actually pachysandra that's providing ground cover all over our shady yard. This might be kind of a stupid idea, but I'd like to pull all of that stuff and plant grass. I think that will look so much nicer. We made a pretty good dent in what's growing out there...but every day since then the kids have come over asking if I want to pull weeds. It's about 40% cute and 60% annoying as hell.

Today I pulled into the garage at 5:00, after leaving the house before 7:00 this morning, and as I was gathering my belongings in the car (the books on CD that I borrowed from the library, sunglasses, keys, purse, etc...), I heard some noise behind the car. I looked in the rearview mirror, and there stood the kids (Emily-7, and Eric-4). As soon as I opened the door, they asked if I wanted to go pull weeds.

Side note--we now have a new fire alarm system in the school, and they were testing it from about 11:00am until almost 4:00 when I left. The word "LOUD" would be an understatement. That alarm is actually painful if you're out in the hallway. I'm not kidding. It felt like it was rattling my brain. So by the end of the day I had a RAGING headache.

So when they asked if I wanted to pull weeds, every fiber of my being was screaming NOOOOO, but I didn't want to be mean, so I politely said that I had to do some stuff after I let Xander out. I went into the house, dropped my bags, let Xander out, and guess who's standing on the porch...yep, Emily and Erick. So after a few more minutes, I went back into the house and sat on the couch with a book. I read a few pages to unwind a little bit, then went upstairs to change my clothes. While I was up there, they started ringing the doorbell. I knew it was them, but I answered the door anyway. When I opened it, they were both sitting on the sidewalk, staring up at the house, asking if I was ready to pull weeds yet. I told them again that I wasn't sure if I'd be able to go out.

I'm fully aware that they have no idea how hard it is to work all day and then be expected to play all afternoon, but it's still annoying to me.

Is this more proof that I'm not cut out to be a mother???

No comments: