Saturday, March 21, 2009

Real Maple Syrup

I love real maple syrup. That's the only kind of syrup we ate when we were kids (my mom and dad are smart cookies with good taste!), and I've never been able to tolerate the fake stuff. It just ain't right! ;) A couple years ago, my aunt and uncle (Ginger and Tom) gave Chris a bottle of "the good stuff" for Christmas, and although we wouldn't have thought of buying it for ourselves (probably because we were still in that "poor newly married couple" stage), we were grateful for their thoughtfulness. (Poor Chris, I'm the one who ended up eating most of his gift--sorry honey!)

Ever since we ran out of the Christmas syrup, I've been wanting more. Chris discovered that it's Maple Weekend this weekend and next weekend, so we went off to Forestville today to check out a sugar shack. It was a little shack in the middle of the woods and inside was a sap boiler and a kid talking about the process of boiling down the sap to make syrup. I bought a quart and tomorrow I'm going to make buckwheat pancakes for brekkie!!! I can't wait!!!!!

No comments: