Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Sister Fidelma's 90th Birthday

I have some relatives who are nuns. Actually, they're not really relatives....let's see if I can explain this: They're my dad's cousin's aunts. Make sense? Probably not, but it does to me. Anyway, their names are Sister Mary Henriella and Sister Mary Fidelma. It was Fidelma's 90th birthday, so on October 12 there was a party at the church where they serve. There were about 25 or 30 people there, mostly relatives, and Chris and I were the youngest people there by many years. But the Sisters were super sweet and so happy we could make it. I only took a few pictures and they're probably not all that great, but I'll post them anyway.

The day started out with a mass, which Chris and I did not attend, but afterwards we went into the church (St. Stanislaus in Buffalo) and took some pictures.
Then it was time to party! We went across the street to the building where the nuns live, and we mingled for an hour or so, then went to a little chapel to say grace, then we went to a little dining room where we ate lunch.

Here is Sr. Henriella, (biological sister of the birthday girl) with their other biological sister, Rita (wearing white). (It's tough to describe relationships between people when they're both sisters and Sisters ;)
And here's the birthday girl, Sr. Fidelma. She's a little forgetful at 90 years old, but she's as sweet as can be. Her greatest memories seem to be the times she spent with my grandmother who, again, is not related to the sisters. Let me see if I can explain it this way...Sr. Fidelma and Sr. Henriella's biological sister, Rita, married my grandma's brother, Arthur. Does that make it any clearer? Probably not, but again...makes sense to me ;)

No comments: