Saturday, May 2, 2009

My "day off"

Yesterday I didn't go to work, and it felt really weird. Normally if I stay home on what would usually be a workday, there would be three feet of snow in the driveway and it would be a snowday. But yesterday was a swine flu day.

I figured I'd use the day to tackle some of the work-related tasks I have waiting for me, but instead I talked on the phone with other schools, the health department, etc... So many precautions have to be taken when a kid is diagnosed with what is proving to be quite a deadly disease!

A lot of people are saying that it's being blown out of proportion, and to a great extent I agree, but I DO NOT think that our superintendent overreacted by closing school today, and there are many reasons why I believe this. First of all, a lot of thought and discussion went into making this decision. Our superintendent was on the phone and in meetings ALL DAY trying to determine what would be the best course of action, and you know what...he had to do WHAT WAS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE KIDS, those little people (and not so little people, since this is a junior/senior high school) who we are paid to protect. Yes, it's our job to educate and guide them, but I think that even more important than the educating and guiding is keeping them safe. So yes, maybe this was a drastic measure, but if they hadn't closed school and kids started getting sick, then people would have been even more angry, and understandably so.

I've noticed that this topic is making people fight. People are arguing about whether people are overreacting or whether it's worth it to try to make sure we protect ourselves. My feeling is that the more we talk about it, the more we're perpetuating the hysteria. If you're not worried about it, why not keep your mouth shut until you're asked? The only reason I'm taking the time to write about it is that I was directly affected by this situation.

Be safe, everyone. Wash your hands, don't touch your face, and do everything else you'd normally do. (Universal precautions!)

No comments: