Thursday, August 25, 2011

Breaking my habit of collecting too much stuff

I have a problem with keeping things around the house. I do this for a couple reasons...one is that I'm afraid that if I get rid of it, I'll need it. I'm surprised that after holding onto something for YEARS, I'll get rid of it and find out that I needed it within a few days of saying goodbye. It happens at home and at work. At work I'll hold onto a stack of papers from three years ago, decide it's safe to shred them because the students are entering their senior year of college...then one of them will call me asking about letters of recommendation or something like that. As much as I'd like to, there's obviously no way I can remember some of those smaller details about all of my students.

In order to tackle the problem at home, though, I've decided that I'm going to start with my magazines. I keep magazines around because they contain good articles or exercises or whatever. I know it will be time-consuming, but I think I'm going to work on summarizing articles, then after I've written my summary, the magazine can go to the recycling bin or to someone else who might want to read it. Obviously this is more for my reference than for your reading enjoyment, but if it does end up helping one person, it's worth it!

4 comments:

Mommymouse said...

Getting rid of stuff can be so hard but not getting rid of things that just fill up you space can be just as draining at times.
I am a magazine collector myself but I have managed to curb the need to keep each and every one. The problem now is that I have a file "bulging at the seems" full of articles I have carefully taken out. At least it's not a pile of magazines anymore and my local doctors office loves me.

Berry said...

Awesome Sharing!
We transform ideas and information into innovation, action, flexible delivery and rapid deployment and provide all the features you need to create professional and high quality Ebay Clone Website through our Ebay Clone Software.

Thanks
Ebay Clone Software

Berry said...

Fabulous Post!
Malhar Group has organized events like Cultural Functions for big colleges, college cultural activities, stage shows, Ramp shows, commercial Shows, Professional Shows, Product Launching Programme, Movie Shooting, Talent Hut, Charity Show for different societies, Ladies Sangeet, show, society functions.

Thanks for sharing information!
Ladies Sangeet Organizers

Unknown said...

We stumbled over here from a different web page and thought I might check things out.
CORDYCEPS PLUS CAPSULE We’ve always promised to protect the things that are the most important to them: their assets, their peace of mind and even their dreams, La sélection alternative de la semaine #23″ : en français, le symbole pour « numéro » est « N° ». Pourquoi ne pas l’utiliser, au lieu du croisillon anglosaxon ?
C’est trop moche ? we i me andriana